logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Grimnirr  
#1 Posted : 25 February 2013 22:44:44(UTC)
Grimnirr

Man
Netherlands

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 93 post(s)
Thx to gamespot forum Cool

UserPostedImage
PlayStation Meeting 2013 is now over after having given us the first glimpse at the PlayStation 4. Below is all of the information dumped over those two hours.

UserPostedImage

When is the PlayStation 4 releasing?
Holiday 2013

What developers and publishers are on board?
UserPostedImage

How much does it cost?
We don't know yet.

Does the PS4 have backwards compatibility with PS3 games?
Natively, no. It appears they'll have a streaming solution with more information coming later.

What about PSN games?
PSN games are still PS3 games, so no, they aren't supported either. On this subject though, Sony has said they're able to recognize what users have previously bought for use with their upcoming streaming service. Whether they'll actually do so is undetermined at this time.

How about PS1 and PS2 titles?
Neither have been ruled out, but Sony is not discussing emulation plans at this time.

Will PS3 controllers work on the PS4?
The Dualshock 3 will not work, but Move support is confirmed.

Will the PS4 block used games?
Nope! Sony understands consumer's expectations when it comes to playing their purchased software, and will not put restrictions on it in the PS4.

Is the PS4 always-online?
No! If you want to stay offline, hidden away from the watchful eyes of PSN, you're more than welcome to do that.

Does the PS4 come with a headset?
Yes! The PS4 comes bundled with a Mono Headset perfect for cross-game chat.

UserPostedImage

We don't know the nitty gritty details of the PS4's hardware (UPDATE: we do now! see tables below), but Sony have described it as a superpowered PC. It features an x86-based architecture, 8GB of GDDR5 RAM, and a HDD storage solution. In short, the PS4 is looking like a powerful system.

UserPostedImage

What we do know more about are the system's social features. Most of the social features revolve around the Dualshock 4's Share button. With a simple press, you can upload recorded gameplay, livestream your current session, or even take over a friend's game to help them out with a difficult section. Sony is touting ease-of-use and accessibilty with these features, meaning these features can occur in realtime without interrupting your gameplay. In fact, Sony aims to eliminate things such as loading and download times completely.

To that note, the PS4 also allows you to play games as you're downloading them. Over time, the PS4 will learn your likes and dislikes, and eventually download games entirely before you've even bought them. If you'd just like to try a game, you can do that too using the Cloud technology - not a stripped down version of the game, but a portion of the full thing.

Another feature brought on by Sony's new philosophy is the PS4's ability to enter a sleep state. Now, you can suspend a game and resume exactly where you left off hours later with one press of the Home button.

UserPostedImage

In terms of apps, Sony has confirmed it will support the usual suspects like Netflix, Hulu Plus, and other services users are already accustomed to using on the PS3. Some apps, like the web browser, can be launched mid-game.

Additionally, Sony confirmed it will support remote play of PS4 titles on the Vita and demoed the feature with their new IP - Knack. A PlayStation App was also announced for iOS and Android devices to add Second Screen functionality.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Sony didn't show us the PlayStation 4, but they did show us the Dualshock 4.

UserPostedImage

It's largely the same controller we saw in earlier leaks. The main features to note are the Share button (uses detailed above), the Options button (replacing the Start and Select buttons), the built-in speakers, the headphone jack, the touchpad, and the light sensor on the top of the controller. The sensor on the controller lights up in different colors to help distinguish multiple players and can also light up during gameplay moments - for example, when a player is low on health. It is also used in conjuction with a seperate peripheral to determine depth in a 3D space.

UserPostedImage

That seperate peripheral is the PlayStation 4 Eye. It is equipped with two high-sensitive cameras and four microphones. Working together, the cameras can detect the location of players as well as detect sound. The PlayStation 4 Eye can be used to login to the system with facial recognition on top of opening up new gameplay possibilities. It's usable with the Move controller, and makes that device more precise than ever before.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Games currently confirmed.

inFamous: Second Son by Sucker Punch

UserPostedImage

Killzone: Shadow Fall by Guerilla Games

UserPostedImage

DriveClub by Evolution Studios

UserPostedImage

Knack by Sony Japan

UserPostedImage

deep down by Capcom

UserPostedImage

Destiny by Bungie

UserPostedImage

Diablo III by Blizzard

UserPostedImage

Watch Dogs by Ubisoft

UserPostedImage

The Witness by Jonathon Blow

UserPostedImage

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt by CD Projekt RED

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 27 February 2013 10:41:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked Grimnirr for this useful post.
Tyfusius on 26/02/2013(UTC)
Offline Grimnirr  
#2 Posted : 27 February 2013 10:44:13(UTC)
Grimnirr

Man
Netherlands

More tech info

http://www.theinquirer.n...-sonys-playstation-4-apu

Quote:
CHIP DESIGNER AMD will offer a cut down version of the APU chip that will be in Sony's Playstation 4 later this year.

AMD's accelerated processing unit (APU) strategy got a major boost last week when Sony announced that it will be using an AMD Jaguar based APU in its upcoming Playstation 4 games console. Now AMD has said that a cut down version of the same APU will be available to consumers, albeit without Sony's technology.

While Sony revealed some information about the AMD APU that will power the Playstation 4, the details that were made public were all about AMD's technologies. AMD told The INQUIRER that the APU used is a custom A-series part that has a mix of AMD and Sony technology.

However John Taylor, head of marketing for AMD's Global Business Units, said that a version of the same chip without Sony's technology will be available for consumers later this year.

Taylor told The INQUIRER that the AMD branded APU chip will not have the same number of cores or the same computing capability as Sony's part.

He said, "Everything that Sony has shared in that single chip is AMD [intellectual property], but we have not built an APU quite like that for anyone else in the market. It is by far the most powerful APU we have built to date, it leverages [intellectual property] that you will find in our A-series APUs later this year, our new generation of APUs but none that will quite be to that level of sheer number of cores, sheer number of teraflops."

AMD is scheduled to launch its third generation APUs this year, but what is interesting is that the firm can effectively take part of a consumer chip and customise it for customers such as Sony.

Taylor said that this is all part of AMD's "flexible system on chip strategy", but what the upcoming A-series parts will show is just how much work Sony put into the chip that is found in the Playstation 4.

Sony's decision to opt for AMD's x86 APU had left some commenting that the Playstation 4 is merely a console made out of commodity hardware, but given that AMD will be selling the commodity version of the chip minus Sony's technology, perhaps for the first time the industry can see just how much work console designers such as Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo do beyond the standard hardware available to consumers to squeeze out more performance.
Offline Tyfusius  
#3 Posted : 27 February 2013 12:48:12(UTC)
Tyfusius

Man
Norway

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Despite your signature, I think Microsoft probably will introduce something better.

AMD / ATI vs Intel / NVidia is probably what we will end up with.

I think the consoles might be at the end of the road. I actually hope so. It has been holding back the game industry for too long.

The problem is that technology is moving forward too fast. You can't expect a closed system to be cutting edge in 7 years time. It will be 7 years since PS3 was released when they release PS4.

The hardware on the PC platform has more than quadrupled (4.6) in computing power in that time. You see almost the same factor in memory, storage space, bus speeds too.

Build yourself a HTPC with some good HW, and a XBox controller instead. Then install Steam and you are good. If everyone would do that we would see a lot more games pushing the boundaries out there.

Die damn consoles, die!!!
UserPostedImage
-=- Join the Mystical Odour SWTOR guild @ The Red Eclipse (EU) -=-
Offline Grimnirr  
#4 Posted : 27 February 2013 14:52:40(UTC)
Grimnirr

Man
Netherlands

Microsoft specs will be around the same or somewhat less.
From what has been leaked MS will also go with AMD x86 architecture a similar GPU, will have 8Gb of GDDR3 and a blu ray drive.

It all has to do with the price point and what hardware you can supply within that margin. They wont go over € 500. There are also rumours that MS will require always online, mandatory Kinnect (will be always on which is kinda creepy) and banning used games.

Regarding PC versus Consoles. You cant really compare the two (price point, architecture, dev optimisation, software, OS etc etc). They are different platforms and designed to do different things. Besides if consoles are dying why do we see new console initiatives popping up like the steambox and the Ouya?

Anyway its gonna be intresting to see how it will turn out. Cool
Offline Duracelplus  
#5 Posted : 27 February 2013 15:16:26(UTC)
Duracelplus

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Supposelly theirs a rumor that Microsoft is releasing their console so you can upgrade it constantly. Which sounds like a shit console and an even worse attempt at PC.

If I had the money I'd just stick to PC platform, but sadly I don't *rubs his finger over his old PC* This hunk of crap is useless.

But on a more serious tone. Not really "interested" in the PS4 or the new Xbox as well. I got a Wii U and so far am still having endless amounts of fun.

I also don't really consider SteamBox and Ouya as consoles the race is only ever going to between Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo. Most of their consoles are just bringing crap from the PC to the TV screen and then you have people like me who go "I have my PC hooked up through my TV screen wtf is the point in that."

Or the best one I seen that Virtual Headset for gaming and I already have a 3D TV that works.
UserPostedImage
Offline Tyfusius  
#6 Posted : 08 March 2013 14:30:58(UTC)
Tyfusius

Man
Norway

Originally Posted by: Grimnirr Go to Quoted Post
Microsoft specs will be around the same or somewhat less.
From what has been leaked MS will also go with AMD x86 architecture a similar GPU, will have 8Gb of GDDR3 and a blu ray drive.

Oh, I didn't know. Will be interesting to see what comes out. Sounds a bit weird that they use the same CPU / GPU manufacturer and even a stripped down version as the competitor and be ok with it. As I understood Sony had some exclusive rights on the AMD Jaguar architecture. If Microsoft would know about this, would they then still go for AMD? Weird.

It all has to do with the price point and what hardware you can supply within that margin. They wont go over € 500. There are also rumours that MS will require always online, mandatory Kinnect (will be always on which is kinda creepy) and banning used games.

I agree, that would suck!

Regarding PC versus Consoles. You cant really compare the two (price point, architecture, dev optimisation, software, OS etc etc). They are different platforms and designed to do different things. Besides if consoles are dying why do we see new console initiatives popping up like the steambox and the Ouya?

Here we disagree! Why can't you compare the two? It is just a CPU, GPU memory, NIC, a storage device, a bus and some ports running some sort of an operating system in which you can play your games on. The only differences are; you can't upgrade the console, and the exclusive rights on certain titles.

Seeing other consoles popping up is not that weird.

If you start to look at the number of failed consoles from the last two decades...actually look at the amount of big corporations that attempted to make consoles in the last decades compared to now: Commodore, Atari, Nintendo, Sega, NEC, Sony, Apple, Philips, SNK, Pioneer, Panasonic, Microsoft, Coleco, Nokia.

There are fewer console makers now than ten or twenty years ago. Like Bunny I don't really consider the boxes you mention as a proper consoles to be reckoned with.

I also remember I read some time ago that the amount of games sold on the XBox 360 and PS3 have decreased rapidly lately while the games sold on the PC have increased.

Price
You can get an okay PC for €500 to be fair. As of right now, you can get one that runs circles around any existing console for that price.

If history is anything to go by, you will get good bang for the buck buying the console in the first year of the console's existence, but after that it is staring to be outdated. Previously they have sold the consoles with loss in the beginning just to be competitive. The loss needs to be earned back by selling more expensive games.

It takes at least a good year before you get some good amount of games out. So, within a year, you will start to get cheaper PC hardware that is more powerful and would be ready to chew a lot bigger numbers, but sadly the ported multi-platform software won't even make the newer hardware break a sweat. You just can't halt moore's law! And that's a good thing. *;)

Consoles basically keep the price tags on the games artificially high while holding back the software that should push hardware technology for what it is worth.

Porting
If you would look at how the Game Devs are working they will tune the games to the lowest middle point for easy porting to all viable platforms. Few actually bothers to do much optimizing to the most powerful platform because of the extra cost involved. The only exception I can think of is BF3 which actually was optimized and changed for the PC.

Anyway its gonna be intresting to see how it will turn out. Cool

Indeed! I hope I will be able to not buy one this time around. I bet the fucktards will have some good exclusive games coming out though.

Edited by user 08 March 2013 14:40:41(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked Tyfusius for this useful post.
Grimnirr on 10/03/2013(UTC)
Offline Dranella  
#7 Posted : 09 March 2013 01:01:54(UTC)
Dranella

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 17 post(s)
The other thing to remember is optimisation. If all developers only had one spec of PC to dev for, they would be able to optimise the code far better than they currently do.

With consoles, that's exactly what you are getting. A PC that won't change spec for 5-7 years, so you can extract every last bit of performance out of that exact platform. Really looking forward to what the PS4 can do!
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline Tyfusius  
#8 Posted : 11 March 2013 11:46:17(UTC)
Tyfusius

Man
Norway

Originally Posted by: Dranella Go to Quoted Post
The other thing to remember is optimisation. If all developers only had one spec of PC to dev for, they would be able to optimise the code far better than they currently do.

With consoles, that's exactly what you are getting. A PC that won't change spec for 5-7 years, so you can extract every last bit of performance out of that exact platform. Really looking forward to what the PS4 can do!

You have a point in regards to the architecture now all being based on the x86 instruction set. It will result in a more optimized version for all three platforms when it comes to porting games.
UserPostedImage
Offline Grimnirr  
#9 Posted : 23 May 2013 12:04:36(UTC)
Grimnirr

Man
Netherlands

Analysis pretty confirm that the PS4 is the more powerfull system. On top of that you have the used games shenanigans, mandatory online, always on Kinect and 3 operating systems that is needed to make it all work.

http://www.eurogamer.net...y-spec-analysis-xbox-one

http://www.anandtech.com...ompared-to-playstation-4

UserPostedImage

Offline Grimage  
#10 Posted : 24 May 2013 12:39:37(UTC)
Grimage

Was thanked: 94 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Playstation fanboy!!!!!!!!

Ps: sry for the late response... I totally missed this thread! :P
I am not a gnome... I am just vertically challenged!
UserPostedImage
Offline Tyfusius  
#11 Posted : 14 June 2013 01:20:01(UTC)
Tyfusius

Man
Norway

I wonder what Microsoft are doing? They have less powerful hardware, and they put in restrictions in the software. Sure, I'll have two of those please! Clown
UserPostedImage
Offline Grimnirr  
#12 Posted : 14 June 2013 08:39:03(UTC)
Grimnirr

Man
Netherlands

Originally Posted by: Tyfusius Go to Quoted Post
I wonder what Microsoft are doing? They have less powerful hardware, and they put in restrictions in the software. Sure, I'll have two of those please! Clown

Yeah...and its 100 euro's more expensive

They keep shooting themselves in the foot....what a PR nightmare.

Latest

If you don't have a permanent internet connection, Microsoft says stick to 360

Xbox One games are for activation and distribution only in specified geographic regions. See game package and/or retailer product information, for each game’s specific geographic regions.
http://www.neogaf.com/fo.../showthread.php?t=586406
Offline Nam  
#13 Posted : 14 June 2013 15:37:56(UTC)
Nam

Man
Denmark

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Latest

If you don't have a permanent internet connection, Microsoft says stick to 360

This is the most awesome comment anyone in Microsoft could give. "Hey, if you dont like our new stuff, buy our old crap..."

Sony says "Hey, our new stuff is better than their old AND new crap"
30 second countdown, someone posts tactics:
"All the noobs rush the hill and the rest def"
random guy: "What is def?"
"You rush the hill..."
Offline Tyfusius  
#14 Posted : 15 June 2013 19:08:42(UTC)
Tyfusius

Man
Norway

UserPostedImage
File Attachment(s):
sony-vs-ms.gif (6,431kb) downloaded 24 time(s).
UserPostedImage
Offline Balle  
#15 Posted : 16 June 2013 13:12:00(UTC)
Balle

Man
Norway

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline Grimnirr  
#16 Posted : 16 June 2013 21:20:29(UTC)
Grimnirr

Man
Netherlands

Funny stuff Clown

Offline Tyfusius  
#17 Posted : 17 June 2013 12:57:44(UTC)
Tyfusius

Man
Norway

I have to say I am a bit disappointed with the hardware on the next gen consoles. Like I originally replied to this thread I thought that Microsoft would put the bar higher than the specs of the PS4 cause my initial thoughts was that it was a bit weak. But they came out with an even weaker spec.

The AMD Jaguar is only 1/4 the processing power of a Core i5-3570K. Ok, you don't see many games using too much CPU these days anyways, but then again, I believe that is because most game engine devs try to find the least common multiple to make porting easier when they are making new engines. So it might very well be the very reason you see that games are not using much CPU power.

In terms of GPU power, this time around the consoles are not even on par with the PC platform when they are released. At least on the previous consoles they were at the same-ish level (Xbox was ahead).

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline Hal  
#18 Posted : 18 June 2013 10:39:19(UTC)
Hal

Man
Sweden

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Nice post Tyf.
Looks like my home pc are on pare with the new consoles, not to speak of the gigantic step it well be upgrading it again in another year or two.

And by the look of it GTA5, Watch Dogs, Splinter Cell, Fall out, even Metal gear will etc. be released on PC.
I do believe some games are to be preferred on consoles, like racing games, sandbox games, but the price tag seems a bit taken out of they sky.
i play to much
Offline Grimnirr  
#19 Posted : 18 June 2013 19:59:03(UTC)
Grimnirr

Man
Netherlands

haha
UserPostedImage