logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Sinn  
#1 Posted : 26 October 2014 13:27:21(UTC)
Sinn

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi all.

My desktop system is nearing the end of its life after 5 years good service and i am looking to save some space at home and buy a laptop to game on.

Surfing the web there is a huge range of possibilities , do i need an i5 or i7 cpu, or is there a good alternative, 8 or 16gb of ram ? what is a decent gfx card for a 17inch screen.

Some come with a SSD along side the hardrive, is this a gimmick or essential ?

TBH i am clueless in the world of laptops and over recent years have spent little time looking at processor evolution.

I am looking to spend around £1k

Sinn
Offline Chob  
#2 Posted : 26 October 2014 17:31:17(UTC)
Chob

Man
Norway

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
One of the best upgrades you can do is getting an SSD, it speeds up everything. Having a laptop boot in a mere few seconds is ace, and programs load pretty much instantly. Outside that though there is little advantage, and SSD's are not cheap. I have a 1tb SSD disk in my macbook pro and that thing was friggin' expensive, but I can never go back to normal HDD anymore (I need SSD for the type of work I do though).

When it comes to ram, the more the better, I would aim for 16gigs, I think anything above that is probably overkill for the average user.

If all you're going to do is play WoW and use it for every day life, then i5 cpu will do fine, but for a 1k pound budget you can afford i7.

For graphics card I've always been an nvidia fan (simply personal preference, nothing is wrong with AMD) so I'd aim for a 700M series which will handle WoW fine, if you want "high end" aim for 800m, or SLI 700M.

-Chob
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked Chob for this useful post.
Sinn on 26/10/2014(UTC)
Offline Sinn  
#3 Posted : 26 October 2014 17:47:55(UTC)
Sinn

United Kingdom

Thanks Chob :)
Offline Taliana  
#4 Posted : 26 October 2014 18:51:29(UTC)
Taliana

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
A few points about laptops for gaming:
You'll pay more than a desktop.
It will be less powerful than a desktop.
It won't last as long as a desktop.

Honestly I've been through the experience myself and all I can say is that the portability convenience is not worth it. It will only take a year before you first start to notice performance degradation due to the poor ventilation damaging the hardware.

I always recommend buying parts and building them yourself:
It's more rewarding.
You get part-based individual warranties.
It's cheaper, meaning...
...It will be more powerful, as you can afford better parts.

I build my desktop in 2009, and it's still going at great performance. Since then, I've increased my RAM amount, bought a better GPU, and added an SSD, that's it.

After you've built your desktop you have the MAJOR convenience of being able to upgrade it one part at a time, whenever you want, whenever your cash flow allows for it. A far better deal than splashing out 1k in my opinion.
MO Warlords boss kills || MO/WotH Pandaria boss kills || WotH Cataclysm boss kills
Elapsed 100 Guardian Druid, Taliana 90 Arms Warrior
thanks 2 users thanked Taliana for this useful post.
Sinn on 26/10/2014(UTC), Tyfusius on 02/12/2014(UTC)
Offline Nightselene  
#5 Posted : 26 October 2014 19:52:20(UTC)
Nightselene

Sweden

As said above, laptops are alot more expensive, less powerful and won't last as long as a desktop.
But, they can take little space :)

I've sold quite a few gaming laptops from Asus and MSI the last 3 years, and I find their laptops around 1K to be fairly priceworthy and have good quality.
So my recommendation would be either an Asus or MSI, they are usually called G750 for Asus and GE/GP for MSI.

You should aim to ATLEAST get an 17" with 1920x resolution, Intel 4700/4710 CPU, 6-8GB Ram and a GeForce GTX 760/860. Do not go lower than that, especially with the graphics, there should be some MSI/Asus laptops with this for ~1K

Also, about SSD, it's a must. It gives so much performance and the computer will be alot faster and responsive. My recommendation is to try and find one with an SSD of 120GB+ and a normal HDD 500GB+. It can be tricky tho. There is also some laptops with hybrid disks which is kinda nice.

Here are two examples from a swedish site, both cost around 1K
http://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?e=2725499 Asus G750JM-T4105H
http://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?e=2468972 Asus G750JS-T4056H

I would try and find something like those :p
Alurendil
Offline Pandion  
#6 Posted : 26 October 2014 20:02:40(UTC)
Pandion

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hey

I made the move to gaming laptops and haven't looked back. Started with Alienware which tbh are overpriced and are heavier than a desktop.

My latest is an MSI GS70 and I have to say it's just an awesome machine. They do a 15" also which is a little less pricey. But these things are light and full of power.
UserPostedImage
Offline Sinn  
#7 Posted : 27 October 2014 17:22:44(UTC)
Sinn

United Kingdom

Thanks all :)
Offline Sinn  
#8 Posted : 04 November 2014 21:47:02(UTC)
Sinn

United Kingdom

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone, finally after much searching I went for this

http://www.asuslaptop.co...750JS-T4068H-16GB_Laptop
Offline Nightselene  
#9 Posted : 04 November 2014 23:06:27(UTC)
Nightselene

Sweden

Originally Posted by: Sinn Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for all the help and advice everyone, finally after much searching I went for this

http://www.asuslaptop.co...750JS-T4068H-16GB_Laptop

Good choice :) although I would replace one of the 750 Hdd's with an SSD :)
Alurendil
Offline Nibsy  
#10 Posted : 05 November 2014 11:56:04(UTC)
Nibsy

Czech Republic

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Whether to buy gaming laptop or not aside (I wouldn't do that but I can see reasons why someone else would), I would certainly get rid of the HDD and get SSD there. There are couple of reasons why to do so:

- It's much faster (booting times under 20s are reality with Win 7, Win 8 can boot even faster)
- It's more durable, ie. less prone to getting errors due to moving with laptop while the disk writes something (which can easily happen with laptop)
- It doesn't produce any heat

Into desktops I put SSD for OS and HDD for data usually but if you want a laptop you want as hell to reduce the produced heat from components. Might be tad more expensive then again 280 GB SDD are really affordable these days. And I'd buy one of those 2,5" external HDDs for data (got personally one from WD, not so pricy and 1 TB can store enough movies for some time with USB3 it aint slow either).