logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Silverdirk  
#1 Posted : 31 October 2014 13:17:46(UTC)
Silverdirk

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Having just moved house, I find myself without a trusted Internet. I've had BT infinity for a couple of years it's been totally trustworthy. Now the place I've moved to used to have Virgin Media and it seems it's all wired in.

BT will charge to install but Virgin won't. Not too worried about this, but I want is a good quality service and especially decent support, not like Tiscali. I've also heard complaints about Virgin media.

So any suggestions based on people's experienced?

/Silver

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline MrChumble  
#2 Posted : 31 October 2014 13:53:17(UTC)
MrChumble

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Just anecdotally virgin seem to get mentioned whenever there are wow connection issues.

BT have been reliable for me, but you might want to look into Zen if you're starting fresh, they consistently win reliability, service and value for money awards.
Offline Allevia  
#3 Posted : 31 October 2014 16:12:22(UTC)
Allevia

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 23 post(s)
I've never had any real issues with VM. As Chumble says, they get mentioned whenever there are wow connection issues, but then it's normally widespread issues affecting most ISP.

I've not had any dealings with BT for internet, so can't say what they are like.
Offline Taliana  
#4 Posted : 01 November 2014 12:40:55(UTC)
Taliana

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Why isn't Sky on the menu? If one was forced to pick from the big 3, Sky is the superior choice. They impose no form of throttling, and because Sky bought over the original EasyNet network (the best designed network in the UK) it's highly reliable, and the network with the lowest latency. Their network also avoids the stupid and suspicious peering that BT does e.g. pinging a London server and passing through ~8 unnamed BT servers for NO reason. BT also imposes random throttling on very specific websites. The most notable one was downloading flash player updates, which would throttle down to ~10Kbps on an 8Mbps connection. This may not be in effect on their fibre service anymore, but is STILL in effect on their ADSL service.

Virgin has a better network than BT, but they have an extremely over sensitive throttling system in place which consistently flags up services like WoW, which end up causing connection issues for WoW players.
Sky has in turn the best network, mainly because they didn't build it. :) I have a lower latency in Scotland with Sky than Lennox/Pandion does with BT in England, and he lives closer to the server!

There is one downside of Sky that may or may not be of importance to you: they enforce the use of their own router. You can work around this if you really want to use your own router, but it requires a lot of patience and reading.

Edited by user 01 November 2014 12:49:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MO Warlords boss kills || MO/WotH Pandaria boss kills || WotH Cataclysm boss kills
Elapsed 100 Guardian Druid, Taliana 90 Arms Warrior
Offline Dranella  
#5 Posted : 03 November 2014 00:21:10(UTC)
Dranella

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I've been with Virgin Media cable since late 2011, in 2 locations. I've had less issues with them than I ever had with BT, but maybe I was just lucky?

Currently getting 160mb downloads (was downloading off Steam earlier this evening at 18MB per sec) and it's been pretty solid. Had a problem with the landline, they had someone out 2 days later, fixed it in 30 mins.

tldr: VM are fine, and as good as any other ISP apart from being faster!

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline Igraine  
#6 Posted : 03 November 2014 21:31:07(UTC)
Igraine

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
We've had virgin cable for a decade at least . Never had any problems. No interest in changing at all.