logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Underpants  
#1 Posted : 30 November 2013 07:50:16(UTC)
Underpants

Sweden

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Hi guys, been thinking of upgrading my AW M15x a bit lately, and thought I'd get some input from the tech geeks of MO!

So what I have is:

i7 Q740 @1.73 GHz
4 GB RAM
GTX 460M
Samsung SSD PM810 (240 GB)
Da150pm100-00 (Power)

So what would give most bang for the buck? Was thinking of replacing the gpu. What's the best card I could get without overheating my setup or tweak too much? I'd rather not have to tinker too much with voltages.

Any tips would be welcome Cool
Who's that fluffy bundle of love?
Offline Nam  
#2 Posted : 30 November 2013 09:38:51(UTC)
Nam

Man
Denmark

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I'm pretty sure you can't upgrade a graphics card in a laptop. Only thing ( afaik ) you can do is add more RAM, and that's about it
30 second countdown, someone posts tactics:
"All the noobs rush the hill and the rest def"
random guy: "What is def?"
"You rush the hill..."
Offline Underpants  
#3 Posted : 30 November 2013 09:51:05(UTC)
Underpants

Sweden

Not true. It's just harder to take it apart. I regularly add more cooling paste to my gpu and cpu, so replacing them wouldn't be much harder.

See this vid for reference:
Offline Dranella  
#4 Posted : 01 December 2013 01:05:58(UTC)
Dranella

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Most bang for the buck would be to upgrade to at least 8 gigs of ram, preferably 12 or 16. 4 will be slowing things something terrible when it comes to gaming.

As for GPU upgrades, you can get a 7970 with the correct socket on Ebay amongst other places.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...&hash=item20d9b754bc
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline Underpants  
#5 Posted : 02 December 2013 09:10:59(UTC)
Underpants

Sweden

I have W7 home premium, so 16 GB is the most addressable. I might as well throw that in.

Do I have to worry about pairing them like before, or can I just by 3 4GBs and add them? (not sure about current ram configuration, maybe the slots are filled out).

The 7970 looks great. I'm a bit worried about power consumption though, the spec says 100W and my power supply is 150W total. You think it would be ok?

Thanks!
Offline Nibsy  
#6 Posted : 02 December 2013 11:24:46(UTC)
Nibsy

Czech Republic

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Memory over 8 GB should still be fine, the more the merrier sure, but the increase won't be that big anymore IMO. What I would see as a true bottleneck, except the gcard, is the cpu. If it's really just 1,7 GHz per core it's too slow. i7 has biggest benefit in dynamic cores but games rarely uses more than just two cores if at all (unless something has changed in recent past few months when I was not looking). So the faster each core is the better. For gaming, that is.

So to sum it up, my choices would be RAM to 8 gigs, new cpu, new gcard. How much that is achievable in laptop I dunno though, I was never keen of gaming laptops to begin with :p Because either they are true laptops and then gaming sucks on them, or they are gaming laptops, ie. heavy as shit and you barely move them around at all, which makes the difference between them and a desktop next to nothing.
Offline Underpants  
#7 Posted : 02 December 2013 12:41:36(UTC)
Underpants

Sweden

Cheers Nibs.

I should clarify that it's not just a gaming laptop, it's actually mostly my work computer that I also sometimes play games on. It has to be a laptop (but it can be heavy), since I bring it with me when I travel. For work I run a lot of chunky databases, and the reason I started thinking about upgrading at all was that I noticed longer loading times when retrieving data. Then I thought, if I'm upgrading instead of buying new this time, I better get better gaming performance as well.

So there, now you got the whole story Clown
Offline Nibsy  
#8 Posted : 02 December 2013 15:28:23(UTC)
Nibsy

Czech Republic

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Aha! Then definately go for maximum RAM, yup. Also try to chunk into it new i7 with Ivybridge, but check compatibility with your mobo first (socket is same, just not all the chipsets support it, so be careful there), again would go for 2,6 or 2,8 GHz per core. If you work with databases you should see the difference immediately. 16 gigs ram and 2,6 gigs per core and the performance should be on totally different level.

Just would make the calculations firsts, as you replace half of the laptop it might be cheaper to buy new one ;) But definately those are biggest upgrade for you IMHO.
Offline Dranella  
#9 Posted : 02 December 2013 20:25:23(UTC)
Dranella

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 17 post(s)
99% certain you can't swap the CPU for an ivybridge, ram and gpu will be the best options.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage